Body which controls the full standards programme and promotes its speedy execution by the Technical Committees (TC), the CEN-CENELEC Management Centre (CCMC), and other bodies.
2 REPORTS TO
General Assembly (AG), through the Vice-President Technical, and Administrative Board (CA) as appropriate.
3.1 Decides on all matters concerning the organization, the working procedures, coordination and planning of standards work.
3.2 Approves CEN ELEC technical policies and strategies.
3.3 Examines and decides on proposals for new work items.
3.4 Approves TC business plans.
3.5 Imposes or releases the standstill obligations.
3.6 Takes decisions on standardization issues if a solution is requested by a technical body under a "management by exception principle".
3.7 Coordinates work between technical bodies in order to achieve a coherent set of standards and to avoid overlaps.
3.8 Organizes technical liaison with intergovernmental organizations, international organizations or European trade, professional, technical and scientific organizations.
3.9 Considers and rules upon appeals.
3.10 Undertakes any task with regard to standards work as may be specifically requested by the AG or CA.
4.1 Voting rights are restricted to CENELEC national committees.
4.2 Decisions are taken as follows:
- by correspondence: A proposed decision is declared adopted if no disagreement has been uploaded during the consultation period. In all other cases, the proposed decision is not considered as approved and is presented to the next BT meeting for further debate amongst members.
- in meetings: if unanimity cannot be reached, decisions are taken by simple majority.
In cases specified in the CEN/CENELEC Internal Regulations-Part 2, Clause 6.1.4., decisions shall be taken by weighted vote by correspondence.
- Chair: Vice-President Technical
- Secretariat: CCMC
- one Permanent Delegate from each CENELEC National Committee
- one delegate from each Partner Organization;
- representatives of the EC and EFTA Secretariat;
- representatives of CEN and ETSI
- other organizations, subject to contractual agreements, e.g. Associated Bodies
- experts from TCs and BT Working Groups upon invitation from the Chair
6 METHOD OF APPOINTMENT/REVIEW
Technical Board (BT) members are appointed by their CENELEC National Committee.
7 MODE OF WORKING
7.1 Meetings are arranged by the BT Secretariat (CCMC) upon instructions of the Chair or at the request of at least two members.
7.2 Most of the issues are dealt by the decision-making by correspondence route.
7.3 BT Working Groups (BTWGs) can be created by the BT whenever a technical or strategic need for information, advice, a study or rules is identified. Their composition is decided by the BT. A BTWG reports to the BT on a regular basis and is disbanded when its task is completed.